Saturday, November 16, 2013

Two remarkable women

I lost two dear friends last weekend.

The first was Adriana Valks , one of the original Thursday Stitchers. Kathy A would pick her up and bring her to my house to join Wendy, Carrie and Christine for a couple of hours of stitching around my dining room table. That was back in 2002 or so.
Adriana was an excellent mentor and and an exquisite stitcher. We all loved her and welcomed the opportunity to let her mother us a bit, especially those of us who had already lost our own Moms. Beatrice always said, her Mom had plenty of love to give everyone.
We will miss her very much.

The second  remarkable friend I lost last weekend was Anne Hundevad. I met Anne in 1975 when I moved  to Brighton. I met her for the first time when my Mom and I drove to Brighton that summer to sign the lease on my tiny rental house, next door to Anne and Jim. They were charging me the princely sum of $140/month  to live in the best place in town. I loved it so much that I finally bought the house  and still live there. The path was well worn between the two houses and many are the days I came home to find tomatoes and zucchinis on my back porch fresh from Anne's garden. We spent many days and evenings in her kitchen discussing all manner of things. Kentucky Derby day was always a special one as the three of us would gather around the TV  with a glass of wine and watch the race!

I will miss my two dear friends, aged 97 and 96 respectively, but will always treasure the memories I created with them and the lessons I learned from them.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was so sorry to hear of Adriana's passing - she sounded so delightful, and it must have been a blessing to have known her. Also with your other friend ... those friendships are the most amazing thing in life when you can find one!