Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Winter visitors

I have three types of woodpeckers who visit here regularly. Below in a Hairy Woodpecker.
This one is a Red-bellied woodpecker, although his belly is not all that red, his head sure is.


The third kind are the little downies. I had a photo of one but it was impossible to see him so I'll just share the two. Very rarely we see a pileated woodpecker as well but they confine themselves to dead trees to peck out their food and shy away from human beings.
There are also myriad other birds...a pair of cardinals, many blue jays, nut hatches, finches and of course the chickadees.
Last Thursday we also saw a hawk high in one of the trees overlooking the back yard. He was huge and beautiful and I know hawks have to eat too but I wasn't so happy that he was considering my little feeder area as his very own smorgasbord. Beatrice has a picture of him on her blog.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neat pics! I have a friend who lives in the woods and has a pileated woodpecker... sounded just like someone knocking on the neighbor's door!